12.3.05

Wow.

Just wow. I never knew standardized tests could be that inane. Boring, yes, but inane? I just spent 4 hours (technically 5) on that bloody thing and I only laughed at it once, at some random phrase that conjured up a mental picture of an inside joke that I can't even remember right now. It was that bad.

So, yeah, hype the new SAT. Let's hype the damn thing out of here and go back to the older, shorter, only slightly boring one. I think the other one was harder, too. Not that it was hard. Just harder. As usual, the first section (the part where you have to fill out your name, age, et al) was the hardest part; I almost didn't get it finished in time.

The essay was blindingly easy. Though, I must say, 25 minutes is not nearly enough. I was only able to jot down four (or was it five?) short paragraphs. And I'm the type who doesn't outline at all; I just write the thing straight through. But, I think it came out pretty well. Forty minutes, the same amount of time you get for the essays on the AP English test, would have been nice, though. Maybe that's why I thought this one was easy; I'm so used to the AP questions that this one just begged to be put out of its misery.

The math was easier, too. Of course, that could be because I didn't know half the stuff I do now when I took the old SAT last June. But then, I got a 640 on that section, so I must have known *something*. Eh, it doesn't really matter. As long as it's somewhere near what my PSAT scores this year predicted (straight 80s for the language sections, 63 in math) I should be okay. But I do have to wonder about that essay. I've heard from a trained essay scorer that they'll probably be pretty leniant in scoring them this time around (just a hunch, not an official statement), but I dunno. I'm thinking I pulled a 10 out of 12, but I may be wrong. There's always hope....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home